Google has transformed the way we live and work, not only with its search engine but also through its apps on Google Workspace.
Google Workspace offers a range of cloud-based office collaboration and productivity tools that have made our social and professional lives easier.
One of its standout products is Google Hangouts which allows us to connect with others via chat and video calling.
However, since Google discontinued Hangouts by the end of 2021, the company has instead made it available through the Google Hangouts extension.
Want to know more about this cool extension on Google Chrome? This guide will tell you everything you need to know about it, including how to install and use it so read on.
What Is Google Hangouts Extension?
Google Hangouts is a popular instant messaging service from Google that allows users to message other users on a one-on-one basis or as a group, and make voice or video calls to each other and in groups for free.
It also lets you send photos, videos, animated GIFs, stickers, emojis, and maps. It allows up to 150 people to take part in group chats and up to 25 participants to attend video calls.
Other features include receiving notifications and the ability to snooze them, checking chat and video call histories, and being able to turn off your conversation history. It also enables users to connect their Google Voice accounts to make calls, send SMS, and check their voicemails.
A bonus feature is it encrypts all your data so you can have peace of mind knowing that you have a measure of security and privacy.
Google Hangouts can be used on Android, iOS, Windows PC, and Mac devices. It can also be accessed via a web browser and lets you sync chats across all your devices.
As we mentioned, the Google Hangouts Chrome app is no longer available. People who still want to use the service can use the dedicated browser extension for Google Hangouts.
The Google Hangouts extension can be used with Chrome and requires installation just like other Chrome browser extensions. Accessing the app in this way eliminates the need to open one’s Google+ account to use Google Hangouts.
This makes the extension more convenient to use. The Google Hangouts extension offers all the same features as Google Hangouts, allowing you to continue using your favorite messaging service without any hassle.
Check our our Google hangouts tutorial here.
How Can the Google Hangout Extension Boost My Experience?
The Google Hangouts webinar extension in the Chrome browser offers users an enhanced and enjoyable experience.
After you download the extension, you can make video calls from your desktop computer and pin your Google Hangouts list and conversations to the top of your browser window.
You can then start a new chat or call someone from your contact list quickly and easily.
The Google Hangouts extension for Chrome provides users with the following features:
- Access the Google Hangouts service and receive notifications even as you shift from tab to tab in Google Chrome. You don’t even need to keep a separate Chrome browser window open for it.
- Pin Google Hangouts anywhere you want on your screen even if you use more than one computer monitor.
- Restrict your conversations to a single browser window or pop out important conversations.
- Sync conversations across all your devices so you can easily see and continue them at any time.
- Receive notification alerts only once. After receiving them, they will be cleared from your other devices.
- Change the screen size of the Google Hangouts chat window by minimizing or maximizing it.
- Hide the Google Hangouts chat window.
How To Install the Google Hangout Extension
To download and install the Google Hangouts extension for Chrome, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your desktop computer and go to the Google Chrome Web Store.
- Type in “Hangouts” in the search field on the top left side of the Web Store page and press the “Enter” key on your keyboard. Click on Google Hangouts from the list of search results displayed on your screen.
- Click on the “Add to Chrome” button. After clicking, A popup box will appear.
- Click on the “Add extension” button in the popup. A small window will appear automatically at the bottom of your screen. This will confirm that the Google Hangouts extension has been downloaded and installed on your system.
As easy as that, you can continue taking advantage of Google Hangouts’ features!
To use the extension, open Google Chrome. Click on the Hangouts extension at the top right corner of your browser window.
You can now start your conversations and use Google Hangouts as you please.
Q: Is Google hangouts safe to use?
Updating to the Latest Version
If you already have the Google Hangouts extension but don’t have its latest version installed, you’ll need to update it to access its latest features and troubleshoot technical issues.
Usually, the extension gets automatically updated but you may also need to update it on your own if the update wasn’t deployed automatically.
If that’s the case, you’ll need to remove the extension and install it again.
Here’s how you can uninstall and reinstall the extension:
- Open your Google Chrome browser. Right-click the Google Hangouts extension at the top right of your browser window. Click on the “Remove from Chrome” button.
- Once the uninstall is finished, follow the steps we mentioned above for installing the extension. Your Google Hangouts extension should now be updated.
Looking for Alternatives to Google hangouts check out our latest guide.
The Google Hangouts extension is a wonderful collaboration and sharing tool that lets you continue enjoying Google Hangouts’ many features. Since it’s now part of your browser, it’s more accessible than before.
To access it, all you have to do is click on the extension in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window.
If you’re using or planning on using this extension, make sure that you have the latest version installed so you can take advantage of its latest features and updates.
We hope this guide has helped you understand the different features of the Google Hangouts extension. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to download, install, and use this handy app.
If you want to read more guides like this, explore more articles on the Targeting Mantra website. Targeting Mantra tests and vets communication tools and solutions like Google Hangouts.
We also provide advice on other online communication tools for startups, established companies, and entrepreneurial ventures.